1. Tourism Growth Industries Eco tourism, cultural tourism, sports, food and wine, and more. The growth in niche tourism is due to the increase in disposable income, especially in emerging economies like China and India.
2. Volunteer Tourism Volunteerism involves people traveling to various parts of the world to work on community, social, or conservation projects. Volunteers share their experiences in foreign countries. We earn about life-changing impact that many of these volunteers experience.
3. Dark Tourism Dark tourism involves traveling to destinations associated with death and suffering, places such as concentration camps, battlefields, disaster sites, prisons, and more. Is "thanatourism" morbid or is it historical study? Is it disrespectful?
4. Health and Medical Tourism Health and medical tourism refers to traveling to make use of medical, and health and well-being services. People might travel to developing countries for cosmetic surgery or dental work, for example. This type of tourism is a multibillion-dollar industry. We learn about the Roman baths.
5. Gastronomic Tourism Gastronomic tourism is focused chiefly around food and wine. It is a major growth area of tourism. We visit the De Bortoli winery in Australia. A key feature of gastronomic tourism is food and drink that is local to the area.