A hands-on video presenting the basic elements of design in a variety of professions.
The principles of design are visible almost anywhere, but too often they are explained in an abstract, intellectualized way.
This hands-on video presents the basic elements of design and their importance in a wide variety of fields and professions: architecture, landscaping, fashion, furniture design, the culinary arts, information technology, and other disciplines. Studying balance, contrast, cropping, hierarchy, scale, proportion, pattern, and figure-ground relationships, the program demonstrates methods in which color, texture, form, line, shape, point, tone, and letterform are put to practical use. Interviews feature design experts who share their real-world experiences and strategies.
1. Design: Elements and Principles. Design projects must apply the basic elements (line, shape, form, point, tone, texture, color, and letterform) and principles (balance, contrast, cropping, hierarchy, figure-ground, scale, proportion, and pattern) of design for function and aesthetics.
2. Built Environments: Line, Shape, and Form. Built environments include architectural, interior, landscape, and environmental design. They are important parts of communities and cultures. Technology has changed their character, which is shaped by design elements and principles that complement or contrast.
3. Built Environments: Texture and Color. Texture is the look, feel, and quality of surfaces. Color creates visual effects that complement or contrast and it affects the way people feel. Function and aesthetics play a role in the choice of color and texture for interior, environmental, and landscape designs.
4. Product Design. Product design projects include clothing and accessories, agricultural products, food products and systems, and household and industrial goods. Design elements and principles for products consider function, appearance, materials, and safety.
5. Information and Communication Design. Information design must consider cultural context and sensitivities and suitability for the target audience. Promotional designs include web sites, company logos, brochures, signs, and billboards.
Design: Applying the Elements (DVD)
Time: 27 Minutes